With the heat of summer in full swing, fall and winter seem like they are a lifetime away. However, in a few short months the temperatures will drop and it will be time to use your fireplace again; don’t wait until fall to have your chimney swept and inspected! By having your chimney inspected now you can make sure it will be ready to use for the first fall fire this year.
The importance of an annual chimney inspection
“A chimney inspection is like an annual dental check-up,” says Ashley Eldridge, Director of Education for the Chimney Safety Institute of America. “It’s preventative maintenance that helps minimize potential hazards.”
Chimney inspections are an important part of your annual fireplace maintenance. Inspections can help identify areas of damage or deterioration on the chimney; this often helps chimney sweeps find minor issues before they turn into major problems.
Levels of chimney inspection
There are three levels of chimney inspections. Your chimney sweep will recommend the level of chimney inspection your home needs based on the condition of your fireplace and any changes or damage that has occurred in the past year.
- Level 1: Level 1 chimney inspections are the baseline level of inspection used in homes with no apparent damage, no changes to the fireplace or chimney, and no ongoing issues such as drafts or leaks.
- Level 2: Level 2 chimney inspections are more in-depth; these inspections often use technology such as closed circuit cameras in order to view portions of the fireplace and flue. Level 2 inspections are used when a change has been made to the fireplace system or troubleshooting an ongoing problem needs to be done.
- Level 3: Level 3 chimney inspections are the most intense and invasive; portions of the chimney or walls may need to be removed. Level 3 inspections are recommended in serious cases when the structural stability of the chimney may be affected.
Now is the perfect time for a chimney inspection!
The fact that you aren’t currently using your fireplace is exactly what makes it the perfect time to have chimney services done! The following are four reasons to schedule your chimney inspection today.
- Better appointment availability: As this is considered the “slow” season for chimney sweeps, it is often easier to get an appointment at a convenient time. With greater availability, you can schedule an appointment at a time that works well into your schedule.
- Shorter waits: With greater availability come shorter wait times! This allows you to get your appointment scheduled faster with less wait time; this is especially important if repairs involving masonry damage are required.
- Better weather for repairs: Many masonry repairs cannot be done during inclement weather. The relatively warm and dry weather during this time of year makes it perfect to have chimney repairs done.
- Fireplace use is not impacted: the warm weather means that most families are not starting a fire in their fireplaces. This means that having your chimney swept and inspected will not impact your ability to use your fireplace when you actually need it.
Don’t wait until the first cold snap of the season arrives to have your chimney inspected. Contact Magic Broom today to schedule your next chimney inspection to get your fireplace ready for fall.