While the weather outside is still beautiful, the cold, ice, rain, and snow of winter are just around the corner. If your chimney has been damaged and needs repaired, don’t delay – now is the perfect time to have your masonry repaired! Repairing masonry now will make sure your chimney system is fixed and ready to use when the first cold snap of winter arrives.
Causes of masonry damage
Bricks and mortar are one of the world’s strongest building materials, built to withstand the elements and last for years outdoors. However, there are a number of things that can cause masonry to deteriorate or become damaged. Below are just a few of the many causes of masonry damage.
- Water: Masonry is semi-porous, meaning small amounts of can be absorbed by the bricks and mortar; any cracks, holes, or areas of damage allow more water to be absorbed. This absorbed water can freeze during cold weather, leaving progressively larger and larger areas of damage. Known as the freeze-thaw process, this type of water damage can cause masonry to spall in as little as a single winter.
- Settling: All houses settle; the type of footing your chimney is built on determines if settling with affect your fireplace. For chimney’s not built on a solid foundation, cracks in the firebox or shifting chimneys can be symptoms of structural damage from settling.
- Other causes: Painting a chimney with latex paint, power washing a chimney, or letting climbing plants grow up the chimney can all cause masonry damage.
Don’t delay – repair your masonry now!
With the heaviest burning season just around the corner, now is the perfect time to have your damaged masonry repaired. The following are four reasons why you should have your masonry repaired now.
- Fireplace is ready for fall. A chimney with masonry damage may not be safe to use; by having masonry repairs done now, you can feel ready that your fireplace can be safely used as soon as the first cold snap of winter arrives.
- Fewer weather delays. When fall and winter arrive, freezing temperatures, snow, and ice come along with them. These wintry condition can delay the progress of masonry repairs; many kinds of masonry repairs require dry, mild weather and therefore cannot be done in winter.
- No delays in use. While waiting for or during repairs your fireplace may be unusable. By having the masonry repaired now, you will not have to stop burning during colder months – when you really need it.
- Better appointment availability. As fall has yet to officially arrive, we are not yet into our “busy season”. Take advantage of the better appointment availability at the end of summer and have your masonry repaired now!
Winter will be here before we know it; make sure your fireplace and chimney are ready by having masonry repairs done now. To get your masonry repairs, contact Magic Broom today to schedule your next appointment!